Sunday, August 31, 2014

Intention

Some of the happiest moments of my life were when my husband and I were reading bedtime stories to our daughters. Every night the four of us snuggled in one bed or the other to hear a well-worn tale. No matter how busy the day, there was always time for a story. Kate liked her blankets tucked in so tight she could barely roll over. Sarah had countless stuffed animals piled in with her.

The stories we read conveyed humor, faith, magic, consistency and adventure. They filled my daughter’s minds with fantasy and laughter before they drifted off to sleep.

I can only imagine how life changing it would be if every person in the world was tucked in with a loving story and a fuzzy blanket. As an adult, many of us go to our beds with the latest world news report, a murder mystery, stressing over family finances or relationship woes. Some of us have been alone a very long time. Some of us wish we were. Bed can be the home base of power struggles, disappointment and isolation. If I had a magic wand, I would sit on the edge of the bed of each individual as they relaxed into slumber and recite to them a story of hope and encouragement. My words would transport love to each heart. The stories that I would read would be every day events that demonstrate how easy it is to tap into the connectedness of life. The birds, the animals, the insects are all here to assist us on our journey. I would help the listener tune in and see with new eyes. To feel enveloped in love and understanding, warmth and compassion, this is the experience I would deliver.

If every person went to bed feeling secure and loved would they arise to kick the cat or bomb their neighbor? I think not. Setting in motion dreams of what can be instead of what seems to be, is the first step to solving global conflict. I wish to be an instrument of peace.

When I was the director of the Farm on Wheels program in Albany, NY, I took my farm animals into urban schools to teach about agriculture. I was less than 10 miles from the farm but a world away. At an elementary school in Schenectady, I asked a teacher one morning why some of the students were arriving at such random times. She explained that these six year olds were often dragged out in the middle of the night while their parent went to get a drug fix. The child would wake up in a strange place and have to find their way back home and get themselves ready for school. These students were fed and applauded for arriving no matter what time. My heart wept for them. No one to read a bedtime story; no one to tuck them in with their favorite blanket and give them encouragement. These are the young people that kept me motivated to continue my teaching. They were like little sponges that drank up the love that flowed between my animals and me. I could see the looks on their faces when they held the rabbit or put their arms around the sheep. A step away from the concrete and crime was a universe of kindness that they were eager to taste. If resources had allowed, I would be conducting this program today simply for the reward of seeing the look of amazement on their faces. Instead, I share the stories of these days, the miracles I witnessed.

What about their parents? If they were tucked in each evening with a hug and a story of reassurance, would they be addicted to drugs and violent behavior? And, what of their parents before them? I would have treasured storytelling and goodnight kisses on my forehead as a young child. I know what it is like to stay awake all night in fear, feeling so vulnerable and insignificant. Even as an adult, we realize the pleasure that is felt when listening to the soothing voice of a loved one assuring us that we are loved and cared for.

Each time I sit down to write, I pray that my words help someone, somewhere, someday.

I write stories that express my appreciation to nature, people, and animals – everything that has brought me to this place on my path. My stories are intended to be uplifting and healing. I wish to serve. I am extending love to all. As my life continues taking twists and turns, new stories reflect those experiences. I am taking my reader on a journey and inspiring them to see their life in unique ways. See the magic; see the messages that are available in every moment. My wish is to bring you sweet dreams.

No comments: