Wednesday, December 5, 2012

My Mirror


I picked up a book to take with me on my trip to Portland. I grabbed it from the health food store on the way to the airport. Thank goodness because my flight was cancelled, then rescheduled, rerouted and then down for mechanical problems in a city I wasnt even supposed to fly through. Anyway, I had 6 hours to read. The book is Your Dog is Your Mirror. I chose it from the photo on the cover - dont laugh, wait till you see it.


The writer and his father have been dog trainers for over 50 years. Kevin Behan believes that we are connected to our dog through our hearts. He states that your dog can help you see your unresolved emotional issues and help the owner reconnect with buried feelings. I had to laugh when he wrote about watching your dog react to different people. If your dog is thrilled to see someone when they arrive but you are busy or thinking of something else, the dog is acting out your happiness. If you dig deep, you are really happy that person appeared. Sometimes our head gets in the way of our heart, but our dog knows.

I haven’t finished the book, but I tell you it is an interesting theory. He is not giving dogs human emotions, only reporting that dogs pick up and act on their owner's feelings.

For me, I am thrilled. If my dog is a reflection of what is in my heart, then I am golden. Aries is loyal and courageous; she would die for me. She loves everyone and every other animal she meets. She is gentle with kittens, respects horses, curious about guinea pigs and allows babies to take anything out of her mouth. Aries listens and obeys my every word and thought. She doesn’t hold grudges and is kind to every person she meets. This dog has one thing on her mind, “Let’s have fun.”

I can only aspire to be all that Aries is in the world.




No comments: