Friday, January 27, 2017

Seeds




 

It is - 15° tonight in Kalispell. I am sitting in front of the fire with my Irish sweater pulled close. My rabbit has been brought in from the porch and is snuggled into a crate in the mudroom. She is happily munching alfalfa hay and animal crackers. The dog and cats are snoozing contentedly near my legs. As I imagine all of the wildlife outdoors in this frigid cold, I think of my garden and my seeds that lay resting under the snow.

I planted hollyhock and poppies late in November. The timing has to be just right. If planting is too early, the seeds may be tempted to germinate. If I wait too long, the soil may freeze hard prohibiting the planting. Right now, the blanket of white is protecting them from the sub-zero temperatures and keeping them hydrated. The soil rises and falls as it freezes and thaws throughout the winter. The upheaval softens the tough exterior of the shell. The seed actually benefits from the harshness of the conditions. The flower sleeping within would remain imprisoned if the shell was not worn and weathered from stress.

The seeds do not question the timing. The seeds do not pace or fret under the snow. They seem to know that all the difficulties they are going through will allow them to open even more fully when conditions are right. It is me that sets up a happy light to cope and is anxious about the future. Will there be enough wood for the season? Will my loved one return? My seeds wait in quiet anticipation. The idea that spring will not come or that they will not bloom, never crosses their mind. Embarrassed, I admit, I do not have the faith of my tiny seeds. I look behind me and I see tattered dreams and broken promises. Do I dare to imagine that spring will bring growth and healing? “Trust,” says the seed.

 I see that the way I greet each day as a choice. The sub-zero temperatures and continual clouds can push me deeper into the recesses of coffee and doubts. Or, I can decide to accept the circumstances I face and stop resisting life. Winter winds blow and the thermometer falls in spite of bracing myself against them. Surrender is the best option. I lay down my shield of protection, my need for control. The effort is futile. Life will have its way with or without my permission.

 Inside the seed is a memory of sunshine and a vision of green tomorrows. I too, hold the remembrance of the heat of physical union and the effervescence of unbridled laughter. Love waits within me for the right conditions. My garden seeds can wait decades, if necessary, to burst forth in magnificent display, their colors bringing joy and happiness to all that see them. The same can be said for a Divine Partnership. When the love is unconditional and the timing is perfect, the relationship is a blessing to all that meet them. Their energy reverberates across humanity and beyond boundaries. These couples truly walk hand in hand with their Creator. They are living examples of compassion and forgiveness. This path is not for the weak of heart. There are obstacles and tests of commitment all along the way. This relationship is worth the delays endured. 

 My seeds will continue resting under the snow, realizing that soon this phase will pass. It’s not long now, when they can burst through the soil and unfurl their leaves in the warmth of the sun. The rain will patter down on their buds and they will burst forth with enthusiasm. I will give thanks for them and shower them with gratitude for demonstrating that there is a Divine Plan, that all is in order in the world. I am not the Master of my Universe. I can let my seed coat drop and relax in the reassurance that all is well. Faith and Trust, my seeds keep reminding me. I may not be able to see it out my window today, but it is all I need to hold.

 Spring is just around the corner. The trees will bud out in their beautiful yellow-green and the robins and the red-winged blackbirds will return. The lake will thaw and the cherry blossoms will bring forth their pink radiance. My love is ready. My seeds and I await the perfect conditions to break free of constraints and bring joyfulness into the world. Watch out, here we come!




 

 

 

 

 

No comments: