Monday, July 1, 2013

Being the Gift



Every Sunday I get up early, make the coffee and take it with me while I venture outdoors. If it is raining, it is onto the porch I go; if it is sunny, it is out to the flowers. Today was no exception. The roses are here so briefly, so I make the most to revel in their scent while I can. I stooped down to inhale the sweet aroma when something moved in front of my eyes. It was an incredibly beautiful moth resting on one of the blossoms. Last week it was a bee nestled in a bed of pollen, today it was a sleeping moth. He is the size of my hand and marked with the shades of the forest. What is he doing here? He is alive and well, simply taking a respite in the shady coolness.

My roses bring me such delight yet I realize suddenly how many others are finding pleasure in them also. The hummingbirds have taken up residency in the yellow climber rose beside the porch. People up the road are happy to see the blooms as they come home from work. A neighbor stopped last night to compliment them. The bumblebees extract their nectar during the day, while the moths feed from them at night.

I wonder if we can imagine how many times we are giving to others without consciously realizing it? We don't see the gift we are being in the world simply by being ourselves. We are impacting people positively by our intention, simply by being who we are. I am just being me and pleasing me by planting and tending my garden of flowers. I can look at it as a selfish activity. I am the only one here. Today I am reminded that I am having an effect on all around me.

I am creating a sacred space. My cabin is a refuge to all that enter her doors. I am surrounded by natural beauty and peacefulness. My home is quiet and serene. I know that my energy expands beyond these walls. I can say that I am just doing my job when I offer assistance or I can acknowledge that I am being a benefit to my community. My intention is to be a loving, spiritual being in my home and everywhere. I am more successful being that at times than others.

The lady bluebird has begun gathering dried grass from the gravel and bringing it into her house. This can only mean that she has decided to bring forth another clutch this year. She is remodeling and making it fresh. The bluebirds affirm that I have provided a safe haven for them to raise their young.

I ask you to look around you and take stock of how you are impacting life. We don't always pat ourselves on the back for the difference we are making just by being who we are. We are good parents, kind children, nurturing the environment, caring for our pets. Allow yourself to receive the gratitude from the Universe for all your contributions. Allow yourself to see the amazing difference you are making everyday. Your smile or the touch of your hand may be the answer to someone's prayer. Recognize the gift that you are.



No comments: