Saturday, June 22, 2013

Other


It's been one of those weeks when the weather changes within minutes from sun to rain, from calm to wind, from cloudy to clear blue sky. This afternoon, I left the house with my sunglasses on and by the time I traveled the 12 miles to the barn, it was sprinkling. Lakota was whinnying and anxious to have her daily walk. Since her injury, this is the only time she leaves her stall. Last night, I had chosen to go out with friends and she remained confined to her pen. I donned my old sweatshirt, put her halter on and we made our way into the pasture. She eagerly tore at the fresh grass and alfalfa. Nipping at the seed heads of the orchard grass, I could tell she was thoroughly enjoying her snack. I take this opportunity to walk her and allow her to stretch her legs. Lakota's back foot will take months to grow a new hoof. I cannot risk her twisting her leg and straining a tendon, so hand walking is how she will spend this summer. No turn out. The light sprinkle turns into a soft drizzle. I bring my hood over my head and wait it out. Lakota is taking such pleasure in her green smorgasbord that it makes me smile. It makes me happy to see her happy. Thirty minutes in a summer shower never hurt anybody.

I am well aware of how important the focus on Self is to an individual and to a relationship. On the same hand, is the recognition of Other. I am not sure if taking Lakota out for her stroll brings me more joy or her. When I can please someone that I love, it makes me happy. I am doing it for my Self, also. Anyone that has children, knows the gratitude we feel when we are able to give our child something that they desired. The giving touches our heart. It allows us to expand inside. It doesn't mean we are denying Self to please another. If I know my sibling, or lover or child loves strawberry cake and I bake it for them, am I giving up Self? I think not. I may actually be being Self-ish. It brings me as much pleasure as them. It is important to allow others to do for us and to receive from them. We deny them the chance to feel that expansion of the heart if we cannot accept freely and be gracious.

Giving and receiving is an energetic flow. Back and forth, in and out. It is funny how many people have a hard time letting anyone do for them. I have been guilty of this. Lakota reminds me how wonderful it feels to give and to receive. Our animals bring us satisfaction simply by being near us. Is it so hard to fathom that we could bring that kind of contentment to another human being? Are we able to recognize our own unique value and contributions? If we can see our worth, it may make it easier to for us to allow others to fulfill our wishes without second guessing the intention. We understand how it feels to give to the Other. It is a fine balance to focus on Self and still tend to the Other. Only in relationship can we know who we really are. In a void, we are no-thing.

I will continue to take Lakota on her walks for the next several months. It will get hot and of course buggy. It is inconvenient at times. I do it because I love her and it brings me pleasure. I could easily leave her in her stall to mend but that would sit heavy on my heart. I am thinking of Self and Other. I hope to get her here behind the cabin soon. Until then, we walk together.
photo by Nicole Tavenner

1 comment:

leland said...

When you talk about being at the "barn" l know pretty much where you're standing....it's kinda cool.