Friday, November 2, 2012

Buying a ticket

Ok, I'll admit it. I just joined an on-line dating service. I guess it has been about two weeks. What an experience. There are 40 million people who have tried on line dating. Stats say 20% of people meet on line and end up in committed relationships. I guess you cant win if you dont buy a ticket. I am giving this a three month try. There seems to be a stigma around this type of meeting and I am not sure why. Something needs to shift in my life - a man, a house, my job - something. I feel like I have been on hold, waiting, for over a year and I'm done with that.

I've always been the type that thought that when the time was right and the stars aligned, I would just run into "him".  It happened that way for me with my last boyfriend.

After two weeks of having daily matches sent to my inbox, including my ex,  I am inspired to start a new service. My marketing background kicks in and I have to say, "Hey, guys, please proof read your profiles!!!" I feel that I could rewrite profiles and make some good money. I could market these men much better than they do. I mentioned this to some of my girlfriends, just in case I am totally off target and they agreed.
  • Enough with the fish. Every man has a photo of him with a fish. Unless you are trying to catch cats, I'd say do away with this. Women dont really care how big your fish is, only other guys do.  Women  envision you gone every weekend in your boat with your buddies drinking beer.
  • Your call name. Think about what  you are trying to say to a woman. LoverBoy? Woody4you?  Hunglikeabuffalo? Seriously. What are you trying to attract -  another bovine? If that is what you are looking for - go for it. No woman that I know would respond.
  • Get a friend to take your photo. If all you have is a photo of you in front of your computer or you in front of your bathroom mirror, it does not speak highly of your number of friends or social events.
  • Get a haircut and trim your beard. Unless you want a woman that looks like she crawled out from under a rock, do a little grooming.
  • Use spell check on your computer and then paste it into your profile. The misspellings are atrocious.
I have met a few really nice people so far. I am in exploration mode. I acknowledge my uncertainty about moving on and have more than a little trepidation. I also feel the excitement of a potential relationship. There is nothing worse than a wimpy Aries, a friend of mine tells me. Get out there and jump back into the game.

Pray but keep your feet moving. None of us know what lies around each corner. I am in the place of allowing and will see what I can co-create with the universe.

No comments: