Sunday, November 4, 2012

Rainy Drive

The drizzle soon turned to a steady downpour. The droplets fell from my brim of my hat like a funnel onto the saddle horn and then across my thighs beading up on the oilskin of my coat. The collar of my fleece was zippered snug to keep the wind from traveling down the base of my neck. The bottom edge of my coat directed the water to the lower half of my jeans and soaked my boots. As we pushed the cattle farther up the mountain, the steam rose off their backs with such intensity it created an eerie fog among the pine trees. I thought at any moment a hobbit would emerge from this mystical setting. A single cow was hell bent on turning on Chica, the aussie we used to set the pace. One newly born calf was a member of this troupe, born out of season and soon to face a rough Montana winter. He tumbled at one point over a rock outcropping, swept over by the sea of bovine. The calf quickly bounced up and ran through the forest of black legs to reunite with his mother.


The heifers had to be moved to one pasture and the cows and calves to another. The muck, the streams and the old weathered gates were features of the landscape that arose out of the cloud that now laid low across the valley. The moment I held my breath was when the bulls from the two different herds caught sight of each other across the barbed wire as the groups crossed paths along a narrow pass. The bulls bellowed and stomped as we rushed to keep them under motion. The size of these majestic creatures was incredible as I compared them to my horse. "Just keep yelling and pushing". Rush them -loping up rock, around gopher holes, down into the mud- just keep them moving forward. Once back on the trail, herds separated, time to relax and let them walk.

Back at the house, kahlua in a hot cup of coffee, steak and potatoes, lively conversation and tons of horse stories. I am so blessed and grateful.

That was yesterday. I cant wait to see what shows up today. Lovin' life!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

What wonderful words of wisdom you are sharing for all of us to bring into our daily lives. Your comparison of the loving and acceptance that we give to our pets and our lovers - made me sit straight up in my chair. I had to re-read it 3x. Holy %&*# that's some really good writing! Thank you. Keep on writing because I plan to keep on reading!!