Monday, November 12, 2012

Cabin musings


Even though I fuss about the cabin at times, there are so many things I do love about it. That must be why I am still here. What started out as a two  month stay, is now into its fifth winter. Let me add, it is a very long winter. I love that it is on a dirt road, on 40 acres, with no one else around. All I hear outside are the birds, cattle or an occasional horse whinnying. I can let the cats and dog out without the need for a leash or putting on my boots. There are bears in the apple trees, deer in the yard eating my shrubs - darn it- turkeys and coyotes. I dont need a lot of furniture and life is simple. It is affordable and I dont have to worry about not being able to pay my rent. I am not weighed down by a hefty mortgage or trapped in an upside down house. I am free to leave, if ever I get the whim. I am still not sure what I want to do when I grow up except for one thing. I will always write. I dream of Montana in the summer and someplace warm in the winter. It is ironic that when I was a kid, I thought only old people get tired of winter. That wasnt that long ago, was it? I picture myself on a red cliff overlooking a vista of wide open spaces while I write in a leather travel journal. I feel the heat rise off the sand and the wind caresses my ears in a loving fashion. I wonder about the native peoples that lived in these cliffs and wrote their stories on the walls. I will do my part in that age old tradition of story telling as I put pen to paper. I must snap out of this dream of warm winter days down south and go put more wood in the stove. It's going to be another cold one.

No comments: